While at work yesterday, I took a moment to think of 'Remembered Eternity' and about an important idea from it: the concepts of 'redemption' and 'salvation'.
In her background story, Melody Olsen was a business woman who had a very hard life, and treated her own children - Anna and Elizabeth - equally as harshly. Her life was stained by absent (if not abusive) parents, as well as a job where women had to be as cut-throat (if not more) than men to succeed. However, as I drew this picture, the fact that she wore glasses made me wonder: what if that 'tough-as-nails' personality was just a facade?
As for Volkram - Mark Sinorov in 'our' world - I first depicted him as a tech-head - someone who had been able to hack into the world governments' military and unleashed all the nuclear weapons to wipe the slate and restart the world anew. However, something didn't make sense: how could he have known those codes? and if he did, wouldn't he have died as well?
So, after some thought, I figured an idea from something I had done during 'The Lupine Empress': what if Volkram had gone back in past - with the powers he had stolen from the Planars - and unleashed those weapons through divine power? From there, another question came in mind: why?
That's where things clicked: Melody. In the story, Melody is part of a tough love-hate triangle:
- Roger Evans (Reveen) loves Melody, if awkwardly, and is the father of Anna and Elizabeth;
- Melody thought Roger was a 'poor excuse' because he was 'too soft' and cared too much about his patients (Roger is a psychologist) to properly care about her.
- Melody saw Mark Sinorov as a 'man with power' - someone who could make her dreams come true.
Mark Sinorov's own dream is to have a family of his own... which would explain three things:
- Why Volkram sexually assaulted Melody after the world's change;
- Why Volkram created the Homunculi (to experience his own family through artificially-created 'children')
- His obsession with Karyana (since she is what Melody should have been, had her past been better).
So, it led me to an important question: with all that Volkram has done - destroying our world for Melody's love, and obsessing over Melody so much that he sees Karyana and Demyan as Roger and Melody -, could he still be saved?